What is beer at all? The basic formula for beer has remained the same for centuries. Beer is a drink with malted cereal grains, hops and water, which is fermented by the addition of yeast. Yeast eats sugar, divides (then multiplies) and produces carbon dioxide and ethanol. The quality of water used to brew beer is of paramount importance. It must be absolutely pure, free of bacteria and it must contain certain mineral ingredients. The story shows that the most famous beers are made in the regions where water always had these characteristics. Barley is the most commonly used grain for brewing. However, it is not the only thing: maize, rice or wheat can be added to give the beer the desired taste. Alcohol levels can range from 2% to rich 15%. Beer is actually a very complex drink, which can take thousands of interpretations.
Most of us love beer, especially after a hard working day when we just want to sit in front of our TV and relax a little, right? Although we love beer, we do not really know much about it. In contrast to what you might expect, a moderate beer consumption is good for you. Science has shown that beer can bring many surprising health benefits, although it is usually perceived as unhealthy.
What are some of the benefits of beer, and why should you drink it?
- Researchers in Finland have found that every bottle of beer that a person drinks, daily reduces their risk of developing kidney stones by 40 percent.
- A study involving 200,000 people has shown that people who drink a beer every day have a 31% reduced chance of heart disease. This heart protection power of the beer comes largely from the natural antioxidants of the beer, which are called phenols. However, the study also showed that the risk of heart disease increases in people who consume higher amounts of beer.
- Canadian researchers have found that a daily beer – especially a store or stout – increases the antioxidant activity that can prevent cataracts from forming in the eyes.
- Beer contains fiber that acts as a natural laxative. It also slows the time when the food leaves the stomach, which means that it suppresses the appetite.
- Adequate alcohol consumption can reduce stress and anxiety. According to the Mayo Clinic, alcohol reduces the risk of dying by a heart attack, and may reduce the risk of stroke.
- Several studies have shown that beers were about 30 percent less likely to have type 2 diabetes than test subjects.
- Beer contains decent amounts of silicon, an element that is associated with bone health. A study conducted in 2009 found that older people who drank one or two glasses of beer daily had a higher bone density and were therefore less susceptible to fractures than those who had not enjoyed a glass of beer or wine. However, the study also found that the consumption of more than two drinks had increased risk of bone fractures as a result.
So, what is the most important point you should take with you from this article? Beer has several benefits to your health, which were only seven of them, there is even more. But all this as long as you do not drink too much, in which case the results would be very negative for you, so appropriate drinking is the key.